Fantasy concept art by Nate Hallinan, for the upcoming movie The Hobbit.
Westlake is a popular town located on the western edge of the Lake of Shadows. Wide and diverse populations travel through Westlake during the warmer months of the year seeking exotic trade, opportunity, and adventure.
Taverns & Inns
- The Green Chain, famous for its beef dishes and sour porter brew.
- Tavern & Inn of the Crossroads. Owned an operated by a family of elves.
- The Mare and Champion, a small tavern that is connected to the town's thoroughbred racing track.
- The Fife and Baron, a preferred location for listening to music and stroytelling.
- Inn of the Pink Hedgehog, famous for its garlicky pork.
Other Points of Interest in Town
- Hornet Chandler is a popular meeting place for the young, stylish, and wealthy.
- Old Hertham Columns is the place where gangs of youths gather to taunt each other or show off their bravery.
- Jaguar Sepulcher is where only the wealthiest people can afford to bury their dead.
- Ghoul Post is near the outskirts of the town, where you can find the best produce you have ever had.
- Ship Fortress is perhaps the most heavily guarded part of the town's defenses and protects the surround area from monsters that come from the lake.
- Carp Stage was a popular theater location but is now being rebuilt after a devastating fire.
- The Fire Fletcher is a popular meeting place for adventurers.
- Stendle Farm: A borough where they grow wild rice and raise honeybees. In addition to a small stone farmhouse, there is a smokehouse.
- The Hassleby House: A manor house where they raise sheep. In addition to a two-story manor house, there is a smokehouse, a servant's house, a kitchen and an extensive vegetable garden.
- Colby's Farm: A plantation where they raise geese and sheep. In addition to a mottle-and-daub farmhouse with thatched roof, there is a servant's house.
- The Misdens: A family farm where they raise horses and sheep. In addition to a two-story manor house, there is a cheesemaking cottage and a barn.
Points of Interest Nearby
- Scout's Park
- Cavalier Gap
- Wiltcasterstone Temple
- Sorcerer's Forest
- Terror Heights
- Lake Lancaswark
- Lake Constrictor
- Cape Snake
- "New in town, eh? Well, don't be surprised at the Autumnal Equinox to get a particular hairstyle, get a new name, and bathe in the ocean."
- "It is the custom in this town after a son's first steps to give a monetary offering to a temple of Ashlyn and pray publicly."
- "One thing you should know: here it is completely normal when a new military rank is achieved to have a procession and get ritual scarring."
- "The cornerstone will be laid tomorrow for the Hodgesteriam tannery."
- "Davmac MacGor, a local politician and aristocrat, has gone missing. It is unclear if he was kidnapped or simple left without telling someone."
- "The leader of the Soothsayers Combination has recently been murdered by an unknown assailant"
- "There is a recruiting drive at the Fire Fletcher."
- "The Hertway Market will be boarded up due to unexplained supernatural occurrences."
It is my goal to create several locations together and tie them into one larger region. This will allow readers to follow along and develop a story of their own--or use mine. I used some fantastic generators to help get the ball rolling for this and I look forward to expanding upon any of the areas that you would like to see. For instance, if you would like to learn more about about the Stendle Farm, let me know and I'll flesh it out.
Matt James is a game designer that lives in the Washington, DC area. His works include Soldiers of Fortune, Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale, Lair Assault: Attack of the Tyrantclaw, and the recently revealed Into the Unknown: The Dungeon Survival Guide. When not designing content for DUNGEONS & DRAGONS®, Matt is endlessly working on developing new and fun games.